Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas Resolutions

Is it too early for resolution setting?

I know most people typically set New Years' resolutions, with intentions of making the upcoming year better than the last.  These resolutions, like losing weight, making more time for loved ones, and helping to foster world peace, often last a few weeks, until life gets in the way once again.


So this year, I've decided to set a few Christmas resolutions.  Partly, because I want to start now, and so a Christmas resolution seems quite convenient.  And partly, because it seems like a great way to end 2011 on a positive and hopeful note.  

My first Christmas resolution is to spend more time outdoors, exploring the beautiful part of Massachusetts I live in.  And since one thing I've learned from the unending management training that my job provides, is that I'm much more likely to achieve a goal if it is SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timebound), I'm setting a goal to have at least one outdoor adventure a week, and to blog about the sites I've seen, and the experiences I've had.

My tendency as a busy, perfectionist project manager in a 24-7 healthcare environment is to work 70-hour weeks, and spend most of my time indoors and constantly linked to my Blackberry.  I do love running, but most of my workout time is squeezed in during either a frantic 45 minute gym visit before work (and before sunrise!) or a completely exhausted and often short-lived gym visit after work.  So, it is my hope that this Christmas resolution will help me to slow down a bit, clear my head, and focus on the life happening around me.

1 comment:

  1. great resolution :) I know the feeling!! and for the record, I have already been planning out some resolutions in my head too...perfectionists much??

    ReplyDelete